Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Traveling back to Los Angeles




Dear Reader

When a job is finished, I can head home, the pressure is off me, I can mellow out with the satellite radio and focus on the next job. Coming home from Sun Valley, Idaho was not a picnic, first I had to deal with the heavy winds. When I stopped at the Flying J in Jerome, Idaho, the winds were so severe, there was several people flying their kids, not literally, but if it was not tied down, it was airborne. My comrade "Trent" was several hours behind me, I decided to warn him about the impending wind; a couple hours later he informed
me a rogue wind hit his RV and tore off his awning and roof air conditioning unit. By that time I was in near white out conditions in Salt Lake City, I pulled over at a truck stop and had lunch.

My goal was to make it to Las Vegas, I top off my tank, made a few calls, watch a little TV, took a nap, just kidding. It was easy going until I got several miles north of Vegas, the winds got strong again, the RV was rocking like small sailboat in a storm. I had enough, I found a truck stop in North Las Vegas and called it a night. The one thing
about traveling in an RV, one has everything one needs, including a bed and a shower.

The next morning about 4 am I got back on the road, I missed California and I wanted to get back home. The one thing about going out of town for work is, the traveling aspect; in a motor home one is going to stay close to the speed limit, one is not going to set speed records, RV's are not sports cars, however, with that said, most diesel pushers can travel almost a 1000 miles on a tank of fuel, try that in a hybrid. When we do long distance caravans with cars, I am amazed how many times I end up being only several minutes behind the cars, why? Most passenger vehicles do not have the range of a motor home, nor do they have bathrooms, so people in cars have to stop more often.

When I finally pulled back into my lot, I was happy to be back in Sun Valley, that's Sun Valley, California. My lungs sucked in that brown air, it was 70 degrees, not minus 70 degrees, I could wear jeans and t-shirts again and discard my jacket and gloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment